Wednesday 14 August 2013

Pre- departure

Hello, dear friends!

As you must be aware by now, I am leaving in a few days for a nine-month trip to Vancouver (1 week), the US (1 month), South America (4 monhts) and the Middle East (4 months).  I feel as excited as a 6-year old sugar high on candy cane on Christmas eve.

I decided to keep up a blog throughout my travels for several reasons.  The first is to be able to share my experience with my family and friends, whom I will miss very dearly during 9 months. I am ever-grateful to them for supporting me and trusting me in my decision to take a year "off"-so to speak- to do this trip.
  Second is to inspire others to pack their suitcases and to travel as well: my belief is that in this era of globalization and international migration, the only way to eliminate prejudice and to appreciate people from cultures different than our own is to  go and discover their cultures for ourselves.  My guess is that similarities in human behaviours, emotions, and values will abound (but we'll see!). 
Finally, this blog will also serve as a portfolio for my future applications to journalism internships, or jobs upon my return. Hopefully, learning by doing will prove as fruitful and enriching as academic books.

I've got tiny little 3 days left in Montreal, which does not seem real. I will soon be born into a new reality;  and I feel as though I have been waiting for this moment my whole life.

No comments:

Post a Comment